7Likes
  • 1 Post By Hondora
  • 1 Post By bajonett
  • 5 Post By bajonett

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Long tour abroad..

Hi

I think I have mentioned in other topics that I am planning a long tour from UK to Hungary (approx 1200miles) this summer on my Rebel 500, now it looks like I will depart at the end of July and probably will take 3 days.. I know that 400miles a day is not exactly a fun ride, but I think it is doable..

As it will my first tour this long, I am trying to identify my needs and I would really appreciate every single tip from you more experienced riders (and the less too) ..

I have just done my 2nd service even I am far from the dealers scheduled 8k miles (just hit 4k) and got little addons like gel seat pad, foam grip, extra side bags + 50L tailbag etc.

So, first question: Do I need a headlight deflector when I leave UK? So far no one could say for sure...
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 06:42 PM

Are you camping or stay the nights in hotels?

Camping is more time consuming, but if you stay in hotels I would probably book in advance.

I would rather do fewer miles/day and have time for a cup of tea every few hours than rushing it. You also need to refuel the bike and that can take time especially when there are people in front of you in the queue who want a coffee and are trying to decide if they want a chocolate croissant or a plain one...
I did 500 km in one day once when I was young. It was all German autobahn and I did rush it. I arrived shaking, vomiting and generally feeling ill from dehydration. I was very young then and didn't know better.

Do you have an app that tells you about traffic jams on highways/autobahnen? You better have that when driving through Germany. There are navigation systems that automatically calculate a route avoiding the traffic jam.

Everything needs to be in a plastic bag. Every Single Thing!
I arrived at a music festival once soaking wet. It was summer and there was no rain forecast. Even if you think your saddle bags are waterproof, put everything into a plastic bag.
bajonett likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

First stop will be in south Belgium close to German and Luxemburg border and it will be hotel.. Next day I visit friends at south Germany, close to austrian border and probably stay there for an extra day. Also, my friend joins me from there to Hungary. Planning to stop at around every 100 miles or even earlier if I feel so, to refill and have a 20-30min break, eat, rehydrate etc.
Not really want to push, even if it takes longer that way.

I use like 3 different navigation (Google maps, Sygic full, and Waze. Most shows live traffic info). Separating stuff in bags was on my mind, the bigger luggage is totally waterproof but you are right, the saddle and side bags will be sealed.

I have just ordered a cruise control/throttle lock, lets see how much it helps on long cruises..

I was thinking to set the journey for 4 days instead of 3 but I decided not to.. maybe I will change plans on the way back 2 weeks later

Thanks for the tips
Gerboblitz likes this.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Hi all

So I have done more than 2000 km to get to my hometown in Hungary. It took 3 days, ridden mostly on highways and from early morning till afternoon with loads of stops. Overnight stays were in a very pretty village called Monschau (NW Ger), then Bodenmais down in south. Beautiful places..
I have to say it was great, no complaints at all, if I have to mention one hard part that would be the seat, but not critical as I would have expected.
The bike performed brilliant, hats off to Honda.
See some pictures below... More coming

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:01 AM

Garage
Looks like great riding country .Must be fun doing long trip on your bike
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 12:03 PM

Garage
Awesome

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:33 PM

Garage
great pix !

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page