Rebel 300.. just how much can it take? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

So obviously there is much debate on this vs the 500 and "out growing the 300 quickly", and "can the 300 handle the highway/long distance?"

My question is how versatile is this bike?

Ive seen plenty of debate on people saying the 300 works fine for the highway and plenty of people that says it will not.
Ive seen reports of top speeds anywhere between 75mph to almost 90mph on the 300.. Almost every highway in America speed limit isnt past 70.. yeah you wont have much passing power i get that. But plenty of power to handle the freeways I would think..

A quick search and there has been countless people that have taken old Rebel 250s across the whole country and it worked for them. Month long 5000 mile trips on a 250..Obviously not the most ideal bike for this by any means but it works? The 300 I would think is a huge upgrade from a old Rebel, a much more modern bike with a few more cc's then its older brother. Also hear the little 300 gets blown around in the wind a lot to the point its dangerous, but the 500 is only 50-60 pounds heavier, I cant see that making more than a minor difference. Obviously upgrading grips and seat will help with comfort. Seems like its great for around town but could it do some long distance highway and multi state trips occasionally? Thank you in advance
Debate!
Kenny G likes this.

Last edited by RebelScum; 05-22-2018 at 04:03 PM.
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 04:12 PM

Garage
Scum,

The size of the motorcycle that you need is just a matter of opinion. I live in North Texas and it is quite windy here compared to any other place I have ever lived. On the day I tested the 300 Rebel I had 20 to 25 MPH head wind on my return to the dealer and it was working to stay above 60 mph. If I had it to do over again I would probably have bought the Rebel 300. Where I ride 60 MPH is usually breaking the speed limit.

My friend has a 300 and he doesn't have any trouble keeping up with me or the big Harleys and Gold Wings that travel in our group.

The big questions are how much do you weigh, what are wind conditions like where you live, and how fast do you want to go.

Kenny G
fujirio likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
Scum,

The size of the motorcycle that you need is just a matter of opinion. I live in North Texas and it is quite windy here compared to any other place I have ever lived. On the day I tested the 300 Rebel I had 20 to 25 MPH head wind on my return to the dealer and it was working to stay above 60 mph. If I had it to do over again I would probably have bought the Rebel 300. Where I ride 60 MPH is usually breaking the speed limit.

My friend has a 300 and he doesn't have any trouble keeping up with me or the big Harleys and Gold Wings that travel in our group.

The big questions are how much do you weigh, what are wind conditions like where you live, and how fast do you want to go.

Kenny G
Thank you Kenny!
I weigh 170 lbs, I live in California/Bay Area where most speed limits are 60 or 70mph. Wind conditions vary, at times it can get pretty windy depending where your at or none at all. Mostly would just be commuting with a occasional country ride. Im a pretty safe driver and dont see myself going more than 70 to 85mph on a bike, seems plenty for me. I also would like to eventually take a trip or two up through Oregan and Washington on a bike to visit family. (about a 700-800 mile trip one way from me)

Hence my thus far never ending debate on purchasing a 300 vs a 500 wich I would like to do for this riding season
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelScum View Post
Thank you Kenny!
I weigh 170 lbs, I live in California/Bay Area where most speed limits are 60 or 70mph. Wind conditions vary, at times it can get pretty windy depending where your at or none at all. Mostly would just be commuting with a occasional country ride. Im a pretty safe driver and dont see myself going more than 70 to 85mph on a bike, seems plenty for me. I also would like to eventually take a trip or two up through Oregan and Washington on a bike to visit family. (about a 700-800 mile trip one way from me)

Hence my thus far never ending debate on purchasing a 300 vs a 500 wich I would like to do for this riding season
If money is not an issue I would recommend the 500 ABS. You get the extra weight and the additional 25 HP which makes passing up vehicles on the highway a lot easier.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelScum View Post
So obviously there is much debate on this vs the 500 and "out growing the 300 quickly", and "can the 300 handle the highway/long distance?"

My question is how versatile is this bike?

Ive seen plenty of debate on people saying the 300 works fine for the highway and plenty of people that says it will not.
Ive seen reports of top speeds anywhere between 75mph to almost 90mph on the 300.. Almost every highway in America speed limit isnt past 70.. yeah you wont have much passing power i get that. But plenty of power to handle the freeways I would think..

A quick search and there has been countless people that have taken old Rebel 250s across the whole country and it worked for them. Month long 5000 mile trips on a 250..Obviously not the most ideal bike for this by any means but it works? The 300 I would think is a huge upgrade from a old Rebel, a much more modern bike with a few more cc's then its older brother. Also hear the little 300 gets blown around in the wind a lot to the point its dangerous, but the 500 is only 50-60 pounds heavier, I cant see that making more than a minor difference. Obviously upgrading grips and seat will help with comfort. Seems like its great for around town but could it do some long distance highway and multi state trips occasionally? Thank you in advance
Debate!
Just an FYI, a bikes top speed does not mean anything really. What matters is acceleration. The 300 can do highway speeds like you said, but the fact is at those speed the bike does not have really any power left besides a slow acceleration. And while this is fine in most cases, it can be dangerous. Without the power to pull away and actually vary your speed the bike loses its ability to maneuver in traffic. Meaning you are stuck basically at one speed without the ability to pass or get out of harms way. And honestly even the 500 isn't the best bike when it comes to power at highway speeds, but it is quite a bit better than the 300.
If you ever have a passenger the 300 will not cut it at highway speeds at all.

As far as wind blowing you around. Both bikes are going to be blown around because they are very light. Handling the bike correctly without trying to hard to grip the bike will make it much easier on highways.
The 300 would be a great city bike. But the question really comes down to how often you are going to be at highway speeds. And honestly if it is even 20% of the time you are probably better off with the 500 if you can afford it.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 10:46 PM

Scum

You don't reveal what your experience level is. Are you a new rider? Have you had many bikes?

My advice is to buy what your going to find more fun.

I've owned lots of bikes. I've only been riding over 15 years. I have both these Honda engines in cb***f models.

I bought the 300 Rebel and added it to my collection because it is more fun. The 300 can do everything the 500 can, granted maybe not as quickly. I would counter the "saftey" argument for the 500 with... "THINK!"

You don't have to put yourself in stupid situations. You could just be a careful and smart rider. People will always make an argument that you need a bigger engine to be safe. That's Bullocks. There will always be bigger engines and bigger heavier bikes than whatever you own.

Look at the 300,000 happy Grom owners. Just try to find a single review of that tiny bike that doesn't have the word fun in it. Those guys are on to it. They get it. Granted they aren't running down the highways but the truth is, the 300 Rebel will do ya just fine on the highway and carry you on your trips. That is, as long as you don't have to ride 90 mph into a head wind down a featureless interstate trying to make time.

That's not a trip. Correction, that's not a fun trip. And that's my point. Buy what is fun for you. If one doesn't have much experience or confidence the 500 probably would make a better choice for some.

But if you're like some and you know what you're doing I'd go with the smaller lighter 300. When people argue a heavier bike is better for high speed interstates it always makes me grin. I enjoy being pushed over by the wind when a huge truck roars by. Who really doesn't? It's not like you can't compensate for a brief moment and go with the flow to let it widen your grin.

Anyway, these are just my opinions on the 300 vs 500 issue. Go test ride both bikes if you can. Then you'll know. You'll know which one makes your heart race. That's the one you want.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Scum

You don't reveal what your experience level is. Are you a new rider? Have you had many bikes?

My advice is to buy what your going to find more fun.

I've owned lots of bikes. I've only been riding over 15 years. I have both these Honda engines in cb***f models.

I bought the 300 Rebel and added it to my collection because it is more fun. The 300 can do everything the 500 can, granted maybe not as quickly. I would counter the "saftey" argument for the 500 with... "THINK!"

You don't have to put yourself in stupid situations. You could just be a careful and smart rider. People will always make an argument that you need a bigger engine to be safe. That's Bullocks. There will always be bigger engines and bigger heavier bikes than whatever you own.

Look at the 300,000 happy Grom owners. Just try to find a single review of that tiny bike that doesn't have the word fun in it. Those guys are on to it. They get it. Granted they aren't running down the highways but the truth is, the 300 Rebel will do ya just fine on the highway and carry you on your trips. That is, as long as you don't have to ride 90 mph into a head wind down a featureless interstate trying to make time.

That's not a trip. Correction, that's not a fun trip. And that's my point. Buy what is fun for you. If one doesn't have much experience or confidence the 500 probably would make a better choice for some.

But if you're like some and you know what you're doing I'd go with the smaller lighter 300. When people argue a heavier bike is better for high speed interstates it always makes me grin. I enjoy being pushed over by the wind when a huge truck roars by. Who really doesn't? It's not like you can't compensate for a brief moment and go with the flow to let it widen your grin.

Anyway, these are just my opinions on the 300 vs 500 issue. Go test ride both bikes if you can. Then you'll know. You'll know which one makes your heart race. That's the one you want.

I am not trying to be mean here, but your post has so much wrong with it.
1. The 300 is more fun? The bike is barely lighter, and has quite a bit less power. How on earth is it more fun?
2. "Don't put yourself in stupid situations" Believe it or not no matter how careful of a rider you are, it doesn't stop other terrible drivers from doing things that put you in danger. A bigger engine being safer isn't bullocks, it is a fact if you are a decent rider.
3. "People argue a heavier bike is better for high speed interstates." You know who doesn't like having wind knock your bike all over the road? Basically everyone on earth. Heavier bikes are better on highways and interstate, and that is another FACT. But the Rebel 500 will not really have an advantage as far as not being blown around compared to the 300.
4. "The 300 can do everything the 500 can but not as quickly" The speed and power difference is literally everything, so saying that makes no sense. And beyond that the 500 will do everything the 300 can smoother.

Neither bike has ungodly power and speed, they would both be fine for a beginner. But the fact is the 500 can do everything the 300 can.... but better.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 12:08 AM

Garage
No matter how positive most posts are there is always a short critic to throw cold water on good ideas.

Remember he is the guy that told us how good the seats were from Thailand.

Kenny G
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
No matter how positive most posts are there is always a short critic to throw cold water on good ideas.

Kenny G
Nah I never said they were good, I said you were an idiot for wanting to ride on the passenger seat.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:

Kenny G
And to clear this up, a positive post does not mean it is a good post. I am not trying to screw with people but I am telling the truth in my posts.
RebelCharley likes this.