To Riders in Toronto - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rebel

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

To Riders in Toronto

Hello all,

Hope everyone is enjoying the weather and riding safely.

Quick question for riders in Toronto. My work is in the city and I've been contemplating getting out there sometime to familiarize myself with city riding. How do city drivers behave toward motorcyclists? What advice would people who ride in Toronto give? I've driven here for a while and have to say that it doesn't look it would be all that pleasant.

Thank you kindly.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 06:21 AM

Garage
I'll be up your way in a few weeks to visit some friends. I'm sure it's like most city's busy and folks not paying attention. Treat every driver like they don't see you and always be attentive to those cars wanting to turn.

From my trips to Canada, most folks are pretty nice on the road, but my excursions are usually less than a week to visit friends and I'm not driving. Be careful though, play safe, drive safe.

"Life is about putting others needs, above your own fears".
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 09:46 AM

I live in Toronto and never found driving an issue downtown. I have a car, vespa and rebel. Driving each is slightly different and I have to say that the vespa is by far the best for downtown.

In the end its like driving in any big north american city, there is traffic and sometimes drivers dont see you. So just keep your eye out. One thing that you have to watch for even more are the cyclists.... those people are just insane and run red lights/stop signs all the time.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 11:19 AM

Watch out for car's blind spots especially big ones (vans and SUV's). I drive Dowtown from the Lakeshore and Gardiner almost everyday. Most drivers are just Jealous that you can sneak in (carefully obviously). LOL!!
I always indicate with blinkers and my hands if possible, check my blind spots before EVERY lane change on the highway or city streets. Can't gamble on my life.

Enjoy riding..
Kenny G likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 01:03 AM

I ride in the city often on my Rebel 500

It’s so very important that you don’t trust any driver. Toronto drivers don’t pay attention. Eye contact is key. Make sure they’ve seen you.

Two often overlooked, if driving on streets with street cars, never pass when the street car offloads people. It’s easy to forget and get an earful from the street car driver.
Another note, be very careful driving on street car tracks. Never drive on them, between them is much safer.

Last words of advice, always check for cyclists. They’re everywhere downtown. It’s key to shoulder check because they come out of nowhere.

Happy riding 🙂

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page