Counter Steering - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Counter Steering

New riders watch this video - WARNING! CRASH VIDEO!

Twizzian, Json_Blob and Tree like this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1

Last edited by 01-7700; 05-03-2018 at 12:22 PM.
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 07:52 PM

Garage
Listen, I know youíre a moderator, but that video should be removed.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
Why?

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
also why ?

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:13 PM

Garage
Rather a graphic demonstration, but it's one of the most important things new riders must understand and get used to.

I've ridden for 50+ years and have always used counter steering ever since I experienced it as a young kid riding bikes in paddocks and back lanes.

I've done it for so long that it's instinctive. By the way, I'm totally self taught and have never done a rider training course in my life.
When I started riding there was no such thing, and by the time there were rider training courses, I was totally at one with my bikes.

I don't actually try to "steer" the bike when riding at speed. If I need to go right, I gently push on the right grip and the bike leans and turns right.

I use my "push right to go right/push left to go left" method as it makes sense to me rather than "steer left to go right".

Similarly, if I want to go left, gently push on the left grip and the bike leans to the left and turns left.

As I said, it becomes instinctive, but if you're a new rider it must be conditioned into your mind and body and I think the only way to do that is to find a suitable area and experiment and get the feel of how you and the bike interact.

Cheers
Jim
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:14 PM

Garage
The last thing this form needs is for people to post crash videos. If anyone wants to see crash videos they can go to YouTube. It has no place here. These videos have no value at all.
01-7700 and fujirio like this.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
The last thing this form needs is for people to post crash videos. If anyone wants to see crash videos they can go to YouTube. It has no place here. These videos have no value at all.
I think you're missing the point of the video. The crash was the least important part of it.
01-7700 and Tree like this.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInOz View Post
Rather a graphic demonstration, but it's one of the most important things new riders must understand and get used to.

I've ridden for 50+ years and have always used counter steering ever since I experienced it as a young kid riding bikes in paddocks and back lanes.

I've done it for so long that it's instinctive. By the way, I'm totally self taught and have never done a rider training course in my life.
When I started riding there was no such thing, and by the time there were rider training courses, I was totally at one with my bikes.

I don't actually try to "steer" the bike when riding at speed. If I need to go right, I gently push on the right grip and the bike leans and turns right.

I use my "push right to go right/push left to go left" method as it makes sense to me rather than "steer left to go right".

Similarly, if I want to go left, gently push on the left grip and the bike leans to the left and turns left.

As I said, it becomes instinctive, but if you're a new rider it must be conditioned into your mind and body and I think the only way to do that is to find a suitable area and experiment and get the feel of how you and the bike interact.

Cheers
Jim
Iím all for posting training videos but posting a crash video has no training value. The same point can be made without showing someone being run down by a big rig.

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:23 PM

Garage
I totally see where you're coming from Longbeachgary, it was a big pill to swallow when I first watched it.

my only gripe with the video is not the content, or the bluntness, or even it being posted on this forum. My problem is the exact sentence that says "If the rider counter steered they would not have collided with the truck."

I hate statements like that because it's so easy for anyone to be an expert in retrospect of an event. I could have been president too if only I had done that one thing years ago. I could have also not burned that morning toast if only I set a timer instead of scrolling through Facebook standing by the toaster like a total knob. See my point? The better way, in my opinion is to discourage riding too fast which is the actual problem, not the failure to counter steer. The video both emphasizes don't ride like a knob, and if you do, counter steer is your friend and not your enemy. Don't look too deeply into the video or the content of it. It shows how a bad situation was made worse and what happens when our instincts (not counter steering) leads to a tipping point where a recoverable situation becomes not-recoverable.

Graphic? Yes, definitely.
Necessary to see? Yes, definitely.

The only other way I might ever see this happening is when it happens to me and I'm slamming into the truck. I don't go scour youtube for crash videos, why would I desire to watch people crash? But people putting it in my face, like this, forces me to acknowledge the problem. And now I consider myself education. Now I know a real-world example and my brain just might, if I'm lucky, say, "Hey I think I saw this on YouTube once..."

-----------------------------
2018 Rebel 500 ABS rider
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInOz View Post
I think you're missing the point of the video. The crash was the least important part of it.
Thatís my point exactly.
fujirio likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page